Friday, May 11, 2012

Chicago Road Trip 2012: Inferior American Fans Follow Inferior American Football

Well well well, back to Chicago again. Last year was abysmal, we lost, the weather decided to play into the Chicago stereotype of windy and cold, and I hadn't slept a wink on the way up on the 10 hour bus ride. You'd think I would have learned, but no, I'm finishing preparations for tonight at midnight, when I do the damn ride all over again. And I'm not going alone, not with 300, but with more.

If this is your first road trip, well, what is wrong with you? Away travel to games is probably my favorite form of the beautiful game. It's not the cozy little tailgate at home, roll up when you want with a 6 pack and friends. These, in the case of Chicago, other supporters don't want you here. You've traveled entirely too far for a 90 minute and change sporting event. Pure insanity that most would want us committed to a hospital for.

But this is the norm in the rest of the world. Some teams even give priority pre-sales to big away cup ties to fans that have followed the team before. Simply the best, I'm going to spend a 10 hour ride up, 10 hour ride back, and all the fun between with some of my best and closest friends. This will be my second time at Chicago, I've done Denver twice, Portland twice, and now added Vancouver in as well(not to mention a lovely Tuesday in Seattle on the way to Vancouver). Away travel is expensive, but the players do love it. You can see it in them when they look over, knowing that some fans love them enough to follow them everywhere.

To put into comparison, the longest trip in the English Premier League right now is Swansea to Newcastle at 359 miles, a 6 hour drive. We're going to our closest rival, at 514 miles away. True, some European fans make that long of a trip for international cup competitions and leagues, but for league play? Only Russia can compare and beat us on some lengths of travel. It's the pure dedication for a team, a movement, a group, that drives us to these games.

But as a fan, Chicago is different from all the other cities I've went to. Denver had a keg waiting for us, Timbers Army threw a night before party for us at their home bar, and Vancouver Southsiders bought me a few Canadian too expensive shots and beers at their home bar. In Chicago, we won't even be on the same side of the parking lot as them, and not allowed any closer to them. I usually bring a scarf to trade with other supporters, not Chicago, not a chance in hell. This is our closest thing to a real rivalry and both sides treat it as much.

At the same time, I love the hate, I love the fact that the people around us don't want us there. Section 8 doesn't want us there at all. They don't need to bring violence, which happened twice in bathrooms last year. We can be rivals and not need to turn into Green Street wannabes who emulate Elijah Wood for some reason(being a hobbit is better. PROUDFEET!). So while you're there with us, don't let them get to you. Say some sly words then move on, no need for things to escalate.

Most of all, have fun. These trips are great, and a fun way to make new friends as well. I have met countless people on my journeys, both Sporting supporters and from other teams. I've slept on floors, slept in chairs, stumbled back to a hostel with the help of two TA guys in Portland. I've waited 20 minutes for a train that wasn't coming all while enjoying the good life of away days. These trips make for good life stories, and I imagine all of us will hopefully have a winning one to tell to everyone at the end of the day. See you at the CAB(THROWBACK!) at midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment