Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Too Early to Crown Sporting KC? Yes, but isn't it fun to say we're number one right now?

As a sports fan, I've grown up as a "glass half empty" type guy. The Royals were already past glory by the time I was born and the Chiefs were in a promising stage that never fulfilled the hype. Needless to say, I have appreciated the negatives towards my teams so I could enjoy bashing them and being overly critical towards them. Sporting Kansas City the last two seasons have taught me a new way to my sports life, how to enjoy winning. Because of them, I never want to lose again or feel the pain of the loss.

Various people around MLS, fans, journalists, players, have been hyping us and criticizing us for being a little too cocky. Pretty true as well, when I first started supporting the Wizards, the only way to go was up. And up we went, little too high for some people but for many others and myself, we were now in the penthouse of MLS teams. We deserve it, fans, players, owners, team employees sponsors, everyone involved. We deserve to be cocky.

Sure, we can get a little bit ahead of ourselves in telling everyone how much they suck compared to us, how much SKC might beat their team week in and week out, but can't we just enjoy that as fans for a little bit before coming back down to Earth and relaxing a bit? Even the new bandwagoners, let them brag, let them be annoying. You won't have to deal with them if/when we ever have a bad season or two again. Let everyone have their fun and ignore them if it upsets you too much.

To keep this up though, we need results to continue being in the W slot, the big 3 points every time. We need silverware or the rest of the league will never take us serious ala New York Red Bulls. The true coming out party for "We Da Best, Listen" could be Saturday. This Real Salt Lake team is the real deal, my opinion of best team in the league right now. They have the talent, they have the depth, they have a frightening starting XI combo that is still pretty much the same as the 2009 MLS Cup winning squad and 2011 runners up for the CONCACAF Champions League. We beat them, the league shall know for the rest of the season that we will not let anyone knock us down.

All of this is my rambling opinion though. I don't want to throw out any stats to try and back myself up or anything. Just know that I believe in this team. I believe they will bring home a piece of hardware this season. I believe they can pull it off if they continue to believe in themselves. I believe we will win. Now go ahead and shoot me for that terrible finisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment